Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Social Security disability for CSRS employee - Federal Times (blog)

April 1st, 2011 | Uncategorized

Q. I am 58 years old with 35 years’ service and I am eligible for optional civil service retirement. After I retire, can I apply for Social Security disability benefits ? I have had some serious health conditions and my CSRS annuity will not be enough for us to live on. I have credit for 64 Social Security quarters from other jobs I have had.
A. Yes, you could apply for Social Security disability benefits; however, the criteria for Social Security disability benefits is much higher than those for retirement under CSRS or FERS. To be approved for them, you would have to be found so disabled that you were incapable of any gainful employment.
Tags: CSRS, disability, SOCIAL SECURITY
FedLine Home | Permalink | April 1st, 2011
PLEASE NOTE! Do not submit ANY questions via the Comments form. Instead, please send your questions directly to fedexperts@federaltimes.com. Questions submitted via the Comments form will NOT be answered!
View the original article here

No comments: